
Pallotta, J. (2001). Hershey's Kisses Addition Book. United States: Scholastic.
In The Hershey's Kisses Addition Book, simple math concepts are introduced by miniature clown kisses.There are many books available that incorporate candy into math lessons. There are also plenty of people who believe that is is inappropriate to use sweets as manipulatives. I believe that if they are interested, they will learn! On that note, here is a list of related books that have detailed illustrations and all use sweet treats to teach various math concepts!
The Hershey's Kisses Subtraction Book
by Jerry Pallotta
The M&M's Brand Counting Bookby Barbara Barbieri McGrath
The Gummi Bear Counting Bookby Lindley Boegehold
Cheerios Counting Bookby Will Mcgrath
More M&M's Brand Chocolate Candies Mathby Barbara Barbieri McGrath
Reese's Pieces Count By Fivesby Jerry Pallotta
Skittles Riddles Mathby Barbara Barbieri McGrath
Candy Lessons
Standard: K-2 The student will demonstrate through the mathematical processes an emerging sense of quality and numeral relationships, sets, and place values.
Indicator: K-2.4 Represent simple joining and separating situations through 10.
Materials:
The edible objects presented in the story
Procedures:
1. Before your class handles edible pieces as manipulatives, I would reinforce hand washing procedures, importance of keeping tools on the paper towel, and consequences of not following directions.
2. I would read the story and discuss the math concepts that your book is addressing.
3. The second time I read the book I would pass out the manipulatives and have the students work out each problem.
Each lesson would be catered specifically to what the text is discussing, but the basic idea stays the same. Remind the students of the procedures, read the text, reread the text with the students using edible tools, and enjoy!
No comments:
Post a Comment